Immigration Law

Immigration Law Attorneys

Michael Freestone

Mohammad Ali Syed


Form I-9 is used for verifying the identity and employment authorization of individuals hired for employment in the United States. All U.S. employers must ensure proper completion of Form I-9 for each individual they hire for employment in the United States. This includes citizens and noncitizens.

Focused On Family, Labor & Employment

The immigration attorneys at Offit Kurman Attorneys At Law recognize that your immigration matter is essential when it comes to meeting the staffing needs of your business. Immigration law is also one of the most important aspects of a foreign national's life. As an experienced immigration law firm, we're focused on a global climate that presents constant business challenges in terms of hiring, retaining, and transferring the best talent. We work to ensure your business's ability to keep specialized talent on its roster in order to meet operational needs.

In recognizing a business's in-house immigration needs, our process helps you quickly and easily integrate foreign workers into their desired position, alleviating HR burdens in obtaining temporary or permanent employer sponsored visas (E1, E2, E3, E4, or E5 visas).

We are also experienced in working with individual businesspeople who need work visas or immigration visas for their own companies or business interests. In these cases, we work directly with the individual to try and obtain visas to work in the U.S., and develop and direct their investment in and/or trade with the U.S. (E1 and E2 visas).

To learn more about how Offit Kurman Attorneys At Law immigration law services benefit you or your business please click the link below.

Employment-Based Immigration Clients

Our employment-based immigration clients range from small business owners looking to expand, to multibillion dollar international companies. We help employers with international transfers of foreign personnel, obtaining employment eligibility verification, as well as obtaining visas for individuals of extraordinary and exceptional ability. Specifically, our clients are investors, health care providers, IT specialists and engineers, researchers and artists and entertainers.

Employment Visa Options Available for Employers

The standard process for obtaining immigration benefits in employment-based situations involves several steps. Typically, an employee enters the U.S. on some form of academic-related visa, such as a J-1, F-1, or M-1. After concluding their studies, individuals often find U.S. jobs resulting in a transfer to an H1b visa. The individual, now an employee in the U.S., can then be sponsored and apply for permanent residency as a green card holder. Alternatively, individuals can enter directly on an H1b visa, and some individuals can self-sponsor and apply for a green card based on their work, if it is in the national interest that they continue their work in the U.S.

Family-Based Immigration

Family-based immigration provides for a number of benefits not found in employment-based efforts. For example, family-based immigration can cure a number of visa violations without the penalties related to overstays, or other improper conduct. Generally, if an individual enters the country legally, there is the potential for family-based immigration relief.


Marrying a U.S. citizen or obtaining Lawful Permanent Resident Status can provide spouse foreign spouse with immigration options. Even if someone overstays their visa, a valid marriage can cure the unlawful presence in the U.S. After marriage, the spouse can file an application to adjust status, obtain work authorization, and obtain a travel document.

If the spouse is outside of the U.S., a fiancé visa can get them entry to the U.S. on a K-1 visa. Once in the U.S., the parties must get married within 90 days. After the marriage, the spouse may apply to adjust status to a Lawful Permanent Resident, obtain work authorization, and get a travel document. It is important to note that work authorization typically takes approximately 60-90 days after the marriage.

The green card obtained through marriage is a temporary card. Prior to the two year anniversary of the marriage, the foreign national must petition to remove the conditional aspect of the green card to obtain permanent Lawful Permanent Residency.

Other Relatives

U.S. citizens can also petition for the entry of other relatives. These categories include unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, spouses and children of Lawful Permanent Residents, married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, and brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens. The wait period for these categories may be lengthy, but these family-based options provide the means to get relatives in the U.S. as Lawful Permanent Residents.

Immigration Litigation

Offit Kurman Attorneys At Law immigration team offers a full array of immigration services for individuals who violate immigration laws and are subject to deportation/removal proceedings. These complex proceedings involve going to immigration court, evidentiary hearings, trials, legal memorandum, and all the usual expectations of typical litigation.

Additionally, Offit Kurman Attorneys At Law has a strong criminal defense practice to assist in post-conviction relief efforts that may aid in immigration proceedings.

How We Can Help

Whether you are a business owner seeking to hire a foreign employee, or an individual seeking a green card, marriage visa, investment visa, or to sponsor a family member, an immigration attorney at Offit Kurman Attorneys At Law can help. When you partner with Offit Kurman Attorneys At Law to handle your immigration matter, your main contact will be the attorney handling your matter rather than an assistant or paralegal. Communication and keeping our clients informed and involved is critical to our practice. Our immigration attorneys will clearly explain the process, what you can expect, and what the time and financial requirements will be. Communication and keeping our clients informed and involved is critical to our practice.

We have helped business owners and individuals in every step of the immigration process and we have handled proceedings with all of the government entities who oversee immigration matters, including The Department of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), and the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). We also represent individuals who live overseas and would like to hire an American lawyer to handle their immigration matter. If you are an employer or individual seeking experienced immigration law representation, we invite you to contact us.

Immigration News

Unlocking Opportunities: Navigating National Interest Waivers (NIW) for STEM Professionals

By Mo Syed, Esq. | March 13, 2024

As we explore the maze of U.S. immigration law, we come across a provision that makes it easier to bring…

Breaking Immigration Developments

By Michael Freestone | February 5, 2024

Beware the Ides of… April? It’s a busy time for the DHS, DOS, and USCIS. Multiple new initiatives and a…

EB1 Multinational Manager/Executive Green Card via an L1A Intracompany Transfer Visa

By Mo Syed, Esq. | January 24, 2024

Originally posted 08.11.18, content updated 01.24.24 What is the L-1A visa? The L-1A intracompany transfer nonimmigrant visa allows foreign national…

EB-5 Investor Visas – USCIS Redeployment Policy Change Announcement

By Mo Syed, Esq. | January 22, 2024

Originally posted 07.28.20, content updated 01.22.24 This blog post may contain information that was accurate at the time of publication…