Form I-539 Now Available for USCIS Online Filing

USCIS Online Filing

The USCIS has now added Form I-539 to its growing list of forms available for online filing. Form I-539, “Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status”, can be used by the following groups:

  • Certain nonimmigrants extending their stay or changing to another nonimmigrant status;
  • CNMI residents applying for an initial grant of status;
  • F and M nonimmigrants applying for reinstatement; and,
  • Persons seeking V nonimmigrant status or an extension of stay as a V nonimmigrant

Advantages of Online Filing

USCIS online filing offers several advantages for applicants. First, petitions submitted online get placed into USCIS’s processing queue faster than those sent by mail. Second, online filing is convenient; it allows applicants to submit petitions via computer, phone, or tablet. Additionally, those who file their I-539 application online will be guided to fill out only the relevant sections of the form. Finally, applicants have the ability to communicate with USCIS directly online rather than through paper mail. For example, they will receive automatic online updates on their cases.


According to the USCIS, one may file I-539 online if applying as a single applicant (without co-applicants, or legal or accredited representation) to extend one’s stay, and if one holds status as a:

  • B-1 temporary visitor for business;
  • B-2 temporary visitor for pleasure;
  • F-1 academic student with a specific status expiration date;
  • F-2 spouse or child of an academic student with a specific expiration date;
  • M-1 vocational student; or
  • M-2 spouse or child of an M-1 student.

For F-2 and M-2 Nonimmigrants, the USCIS offers the following guidance:

If you are in the U.S. with F-2 or M-2 nonimmigrant status and want to extend your stay, compare the expiration date on your visa with your spouse or parent’s F-1 or M-1 visa. If the expiration dates on both visas are:

  • Different, you may apply online as an individual.
  • The same, you may apply as a co-applicant using a paper Form I-539.


For more information, see HERE. To submit a I-539 petition online, see HERE.