You Bet!: A Guide to the Legalization of Sports Gambling in the District of Columbia – Part 3
Click Here for Part 1 & Part 2
While the legalization of sports gambling in the District of Columbia is almost certain to become a reality in the near future, the regulatory regime that will govern this brand-new industry remains a mystery. The Sports Wagering Lottery Amendment Act of 2018 makes clear that oversight of sports gambling in the District of Columbia will be conducted by the Office of Lottery and Charitable Games, also known as the D.C. Lottery. The District of Columbia has further approved the current lottery provider Intralot to operate all wagering in the District.
Beyond the above, the rules and regulations that will govern sports wagering in the District of Columbia are unknown. The legislation that has been passed tasks the District’s Chief Financial Officer to adopt rules and regulations to govern sports gambling in the District. This promulgation of rules will likely be done with input from the D.C. Lottery itself and from other city agencies such as the Alcohol Beverage Control Board. The scope of this regulation regime will be broad and will cover an array of areas including:
- Acceptance of wagers on a sports event or a series of sports events;
- Maximum wagers that may be accepted by an operator from any one individual or on a sports event;
- Type of wagering tickets that may be used;
- Method of issuing tickets;
- Method of accounting to be used by an operator;
- Requirements relating to how fees and taxes are to be remitted, including whether the fees and taxes shall be required to be remitted electronically;
- Methods of age verification;
- Posting of house rules;
- Player exclusion requirements;
- Facilities to be used by operators;
- Types of records that shall be required to be maintained;
- Use of credit and checks;
- Type of system for sports wagering;
- Protections for an individual placing a wager;
- Requirements for training the employees of an operator concerning compulsive and problem gambling, and for displaying on an operator’s website and sports wagering facility information about available programs to prevent, treat, or monitor compulsive or problem gambling;
- Advertising guidelines, including specific language concerning minors; and
- Reporting of the sources of data that operators use to resolve sports wagers.
As you can see, the rules for the entire industry still need to be determined and codified. We will be watching for the District of Columbia to issue these new rules and regulations and will update with further analysis once they are issued. However, any person preparing to engage in the business of sports wagering should be mindful of the uncertainties that exist when making their plans.
Please feel free to contact Ian Thomas atwith any questions or interest about the industry.
ABOUT IAN THOMAS
Ian Thomas is an attorney in Offit Kurman’s Commercial Litigation practice group. Ian likes to apply a “think-outside-the-box” approach to litigation, through which he seeks to find creative ways to resolve each legal issue that his clients face. In applying this approach, Ian is able to identify a diverse and cost-effective set of options to resolve any legal problem that his clients encounter.
ABOUT OFFIT KURMAN
Offit Kurman is one of the fastest-growing, full-service law firms in the mid-Atlantic region. With over 185 attorneys offering a comprehensive range of services in virtually every legal category, the firm is well positioned to meet the needs of dynamic businesses and the people who own and operate them. Our twelve offices serve individual and corporate clients along the I95 corridor in the Virginia, Washington, DC, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York City regions. At Offit Kurman, we are our clients’ most trusted legal advisors, professionals who help maximize and protect business value and personal wealth. In every interaction, we consistently maintain our clients’ confidence by remaining focused on furthering their objectives and achieving their goals in an efficient manner. Trust, knowledge, confidence—in a partner, that’s perfect.
Find out why Offit Kurman is The Better Way to protect your business, your assets and your family by connecting via our Blog, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and LinkedIn pages. You can also sign up to receive Law Matters, Offit Kurman’s monthly newsletter covering a diverse selection of legal and corporate thought leadership content.
MARYLAND | PENNSYLVANIA | VIRGINIA | NEW JERSEY | NEW YORK | DELAWARE | WASHINGTON, DC