Tanya Freeman is a Principal in the firm’s Family Law Group. An accomplished client advocate, Ms. Freeman provides legal representation in all aspects of family law, including divorce, child and spousal support, child custody, interstate custody, relocation disputes and domestic violence matters.
Ms. Freeman has an extensive corporate audit background that enhances her ability to effectively represent clients with high-net-worth cases involving significant assets as well as cases concerning owners of closely-held businesses. Prior to practicing law, Ms. Freeman spent fifteen years in the banking and insurance industries leading audit teams; today, she can draw upon the strength of her financial, negotiation and legal experience to benefit her clients. She has represented clients in cases involving professional athletes, television personalities and other high-profile celebrities.
Ms. Freeman is active in both the local and legal communities. Her involvement includes serving as the Chairperson of the Board of Directors of University Hospital in Newark, as appointed by New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy. Other commitments also include volunteering as a Panelist for the Superior Court, Essex County, Early Settlement Panel and as a former Trustee for the Hudson County Bar Association. Additionally, Ms. Freeman has been appointed by the court to serve as a Guardian ad Litem to represent the best interest of individuals in court proceedings and a parenting coordinator in high conflict custody matters. The New Jersey Supreme Court appointed Ms. Freeman to the Office of Attorney Ethics, District VB Fee Arbitration Committee in 2018, where she is completing a five-year term and presently serves as Vice-Chair. She also serves as a member of the New Jersey State Bar Association Family Law Executive Committee, where she serves as the Chair of Diversity Equity and Inclusion Committee. Recently she became a Fellow of the American Bar Association.
Among her numerous accolades and awards, Ms. Freeman was named Family Practitioner of the Year by the Essex County Bar Association in 2021 and Top Family Law Lawyer by the Morris Essex Health & Life Magazine in 2018 and 2020. She was the recipient of the Caldwell University Veritas Award for Excellence in Law and Family Services in 2018 and was named Family Lawyer of the Year by the Hudson County Bar Association in 2017.
Ms. Freeman frequently lectures on custody, child support, and relocation law to fellow attorneys on behalf of the New Jersey State Bar Association’s Institution for Continuing Legal Education.
- Family Law Summer Institute: Intake and Cultural Awareness- New Jersey State Bar Association, July 2022
- Metropolitan Black Bar Association / Garden State Bar Association - Matrimonial and Family Law from a Diverse Perspective - New York, Feb. 2022
- NJAJ Meadowlands - Handling Toxic Personalities in Mediation & Settlement Conferences – Dec. 2021
- Family Law Summer Institute Professionalism and Ethics- New Jersey State Bar Association, July 2020
- Family Law Symposium on Crafting Better Agreements – New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education– New Brunswick, New Jersey, Jan. 2019
- War of the Roses with Thorns – New Jersey State Bar Association Mid-Year ConferenceRome, Italy, 2018
- The Attack on The Legal Profession by Non-Lawyers – New Jersey State Bar Association 2018 Annual Convention– Atlantic City, New Jersey, May 2018
- The Domestic Violence Statute and Pop Culture – New Jersey State Bar Association Mid-Year Meeting – Madrid, Spain, Oct. 2017
- Top Ten Family Law Cases, New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education Family Law Summer Institute – New Brunswick, New Jersey, July 2017
- Attorney Ethics in Family Law – New Jersey State Bar Association 2017 Annual Convention – Atlantic City, New Jersey, May 2017
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
- Family Practitioner of the Year – Essex County Bar Association, 2021
- Caldwell University Veritas Award for Excellence in Law and Family Services – Caldwell University – 2018
- New Jersey’s Best Lawyers for Families – New Jersey Family Magazine, 2018
- Best Lawyers in America, 2021-2023
- Superb Divorce Attorney – Avvo, 2018
- Rising Star – Super Lawyers Magazine, 2016-2022
- Morris County Top Family Law Lawyer – Morris Essex Health & Life Magazine, 2018