Ryan Boland is a principal attorney who represents companies and individuals in the areas of complex commercial litigation, corporate litigation, real estate litigation, and zoning law. He has extensive experience in litigation involving unfair competition and employment litigation (including prosecuting and defending restrictive covenants). Mr. Boland represents companies in diverse industries, including real estate, medical, manufacturing, and legal. He also serves as outside general counsel to owner-managed businesses, including helping companies grow from one-person start-ups to having 100+ employees and eight figures per year in revenue. Mr. Boland also represents real estate developers with all of their real estate and corporate needs. He also handles intellectual property law cases, including preparing, filing, and prosecuting federal trademark applications and arbitrating Uniform Domain-Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) disputes.
During law school, Mr. Boland served as a law clerk to the Honorable Kevin A. Hess in the Cumberland County Court of Common Pleas. After graduating, Mr. Boland was a law clerk to the Honorable Arnold L. New in the Philadelphia County Court of Common Pleas.
Mr. Boland has practiced law for over fifteen years, four of which were spent as an associate with a large national law firm practicing commercial litigation, banking law, class actions, and professional liability. He also spent five years practicing at a Philadelphia commercial litigation and boutique law firm.
Mr. Boland has also served as a volunteer through Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA), where he assisted low-income individuals with preparing income tax returns.
- Represented multi-state commercial and industrial HVAC company in the company litigation filed by a competitor who lost HVAC territory and obtained dismissal of nearly every claim at the summary judgment stage.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company in litigation against a contract manufacturer involving failure to obtain cGMP approval of pharmaceuticals.
- Represented private educational provider in breach of contract and fraud litigation against the school district.
- Represented developers, Registered Community Organizations, and neighbors before the Philadelphia Zoning Board of Adjustment (ZBA) and on appeal.
- Represented business owners in hearings and appeals before various city, county, state, and federal administrative agencies.
- Represented commercial and residential property owners in real estate tax appeals.
- Represented a financial institution in defending unfair competition and trade secrets claims.
- Represented lenders and borrowers in the workout and recovery phases of multi-million dollar commercial financing transactions.
- Represented law firms in online defamation claims against former employees, involving defamatory postings on google.com, facebook.com, yelp.com, and AVVO.com, including unmasking online defamers cowardly hiding behind VPNs.
- Represented medical providers, including physicians, home care, and pharmacists, in litigation with their practices and against the country's largest insurance companies.
- Defended claims for failure to disclose in connection with sales of real estate.
- Represented financial institution in the sale of a failed large condominium complex.
- Represented financial institution in the prosecution of fraud and breach of contract claims against one of the world's largest oil conglomerates and obtained successful resolution of claims.
- Defended wage and hour collective action claims asserted against a Norwegian company.
- Defeated a petition for a preliminary injunction seeking the enforcement of a non-compete and non-solicitation clause and obtained dismissal of the complaint.
- Obtained a temporary restraining order on behalf of a franchisor enforcing a non-compete and non-solicitation clause.
- Obtained voluntary dismissal of a securities fraud action against a broker.
- Successfully obtained voluntary dismissal of fraud and unjust enrichment claims against a financial institution.
- Represented individuals in litigation involving asset purchase agreements.
- Defended the founder of a company in litigation filed by a venture capital firm that purchased the business and tried to remove the founder from the board of directors.
- Successfully executed on and obtained title to commercial and residential real property to enforce judgments on behalf of successful litigants.
RECENT PUBLISHED APPELLATE OPINIONS
- Obtained affirmance of trial court opinion granting partial summary judgment in mandamus and for accounting and money damages – NHS Youth Servs., Inc. v. Shamokin Area Sch. Dist., 272 A.2d. 922 (Pa. Commw. Ct. 2022)
- Obtained reversal of trial court and Philadelphia Zoning Board of Adjustment of developer's dimensional zoning variance involving ten parcels - 4th & Bainbridge Assocs. v. Zoning Bd. of Adjustment, 238 A.3d 550 (Pa. Commw. Ct. 2020)
PUBLICATIONS & SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- "50 State Class Action Compendium," co-author of the Pennsylvania Chapter for the Defense Research Institute, March 2011
- Comment: Arbitration Clauses in the Face of Class Actions and the Class Action Fairness Act, 5 J. Am. Arb. 348 (2006)
- Course planner and speaker at the Pennsylvania Bar Institute's 19th Annual Business Lawyers' Institute: Exculpatory and Limitation of Liability Clauses (November 2013)
- Course planner and speaker at the Pennsylvania Bar Institute's 20th Annual Business Lawyers' Institute: How to Get the Most out of Your Support Staff (2014)
- Speaker at the Pennsylvania Bar Association's CLE entitled Communicating with Colleagues and Clients (2015)
POINTS OF DISTINCTION
- Mr. Boland was selected as an outstanding lawyer by Super Lawyers in 2016, as well as in 2018-2021.
- Mr. Boland was selected to the Pennsylvania Rising Star list for 2016 and 2018-2021, an honor awarded only to the top 2 1/2% of young lawyers in Pennsylvania, as published annually in Philadelphia Magazine.
- Mr. Boland was appointed by the chancellor of the Philadelphia Bar Association to serve as a member of the Investigative Division of the association's Commission on Judicial Selection and Retention. He continues to serve in this role.