Robert (“Bob”) DeMeter has spent over 45 years working with clients on complex tax, estate planning and business and trust administration matters. Bob is a Principal in Offit Kurman’s Estates and Trusts practice group.
Bob represents clients in tax controversies before the Internal Revenue Service, the California Franchise Tax Board, the California State Board of Equalization, various California County Assessment Appeals Boards, Municipal Taxing Authorities and the California Employment Development Department. He is also certified as a Taxation Law Specialist.
Bob has represented high-net-worth individuals and companies of all sizes and all sectors of the Southern California economy, providing his clients with innovative planning advice. Bob regularly advises family business owners on estate planning and successful transitioning of business ownership between generations. He regularly works with clients on Wills, Trusts, Power of Attorney and Advance Health Care Directives.
He is a past Chair of the California Board of Legal Specialist, the Board which tests and certifies lawyers as specialists in California. He is also a past Chair of the Taxation Law Advisory Commission of the California Board of Legal Specialization.
Bob is a past member of the Board of Trustees of the Los Angeles County Bar Association and a member of the Executive Committee of the Taxation Section of the Los Angeles County Bar Association. In addition, he is a frequent speaker for professional and trade association organizations on tax, business, and estate planning topics.
- Advised wealthy individuals and couples on how to establish a new tax domicile outside California
- Convinced the Internal Revenue Service to drop a multimillion-dollar deficiency an auditor had assessed against an importer of seafood products
- Convinced the California Franchise Tax Board to allow 85% of a seven-figure research and development credit which the auditor had completely denied
- Had California State Board of Equalizations reduced a 90% deficiency assessed against a motion picture sound editing company to 10%
- Was Awarded fees against the California Franchise Tax board when the staff took an unsupported position against a taxpayer
- Turned a six-figure deficiency assessed against a sound editing company into a six-figure refund
- Represented a California city in imposing an increased city business tax against a company which had acquired an existing business in that city
- “How to Handle Federal Tax Controversies,” Seminar sponsored by ADP and Bank of America, Presenter
- “Advanced Estate Planning Techniques,” Seminar sponsored by Wells Fargo Private Bank, Presenter
- “California Tax Controversies,” Seminar sponsored by ADP and Bank of America, Presenter
- “Optimizing your Clients” Income and Estate Tax Savings Through Charitable Planning Strategies,” Seminar sponsored by Wells Fargo Bank, Presenter
- “The Design and Application of Long-term Trusts,” Seminar sponsored by the Wilmington Trust, Presenter
- “706 Estate Tax Return Considerations,” Seminar sponsored by Higgins Marcus & Lovett Appraisers, Presenter
- Super Lawyer, Southern California Super Lawyers
- Five Star Wealth Advisor
- Martindale- Hubbell Highest AV Preeminent Rating