Michiel A. Bloemsma represents privately held companies, entrepreneurs and investors in connection with corporate, mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and commercial transactions. Michiel’s practice includes entity formation, corporate governance, M&A and joint venture transactions, financing agreements and various other commercial transactions, such as sales and distributorship contracts and software licensing agreements. Clients include software and technology companies, startups, manufacturers, wholesalers and distributors of merchandise, financial services and investment companies and professional services firms.
A substantial portion of Michiel’s practice focuses on assisting European and other foreign clients with their U.S. inbound and cross-border transactions. Having received his legal education in both Europe and the U.S. and having practiced corporate law in Europe before joining a U.S. law firm, Michiel is uniquely situated to advise European and other foreign companies and investors in connection with their U.S. expansion and investments. In addition to his practice in corporate and M&A matters, Michiel assists clients in other practice areas through his colleagues at Offit Kurman, including intellectual property, real estate, employment, commercial litigation and estates and trusts.
- Represented several European pet food companies in connection with acquisitions of U.S. manufacturers and distributors of pet food products
- Represented a major Dutch liquor company in connection with an acquisition of a U.S. and Mexican tequila company
- Represented a leading Dutch flower company in connection with an acquisition of a majority interest in a major U.S. distributor of flower bouquets from a U.S. private equity fund
- Assisted Dutch digital entertainment and media platform in connection with due diligence on U.S. subsidiaries of a Belgian target company
- Advised founders of a European buying platform for digital out-of-home and mobile ads in connection with U.S. legal aspects of the sale of their company to a U.S. global provider of programmatic technology for out-of-home, including obtaining rollover equity in the U.S. buyer
- Represented a U.S. biotech company in connection with a CFIUS filing related to a stock purchase by a Chinese company
- Represented a Dutch IT services company in connection with a joint venture with a U.S. telecommunications company
- Represented a Dutch medical technology company in connection with a distribution contract with a major U.S. medical software company for the distribution of AI-based radiology software on the U.S. company’s marketplace
- Represented numerous foreign companies in connection with the establishment and expansion of their U.S. business operations
- Advised companies and professional service firms in connection with ownership transition arrangements