Matthew D’Annunzio, a shareholder and principal of Offit Kurman, represents businesses and entrepreneurs in complex commercial litigation matters and advises them as outside general counsel in all aspects of their operations. He has consistently won high-stakes litigation in his national practice due to his strategic analytical abilities on motions and appellate briefs, as well as his trial skills before judges and juries.
He further serves as national coordinating counsel with respect to tort, indemnification, and insurance issues. He has advised clients and litigated and resolved disputes concerning contract, finance, business fraud, shareholders, partnerships, unfair competition, indemnification and insurance, bankruptcy, real estate, employment, estates and trusts, and trade secrets.
His clients engage in various industries, including manufacturing, construction, architecture, solar, information technology, banking and finance, real estate, energy, and bioenergy.
Mr. D’Annunzio also represents plaintiffs through jury trial in matters involving catastrophic injury and loss of life, including product liability and medical malpractice cases.
Mr. D'Annunzio is a member of the Offit Kurman Management Compensation Committee. He acted as Co-Chair for the Friends Select School Capital Campaign and is a member of the Friends Select Benefactors Society.
He served as a member of the Mid-Atlantic Finance Committee during the presidential campaign of President Barack Obama. In 2008, Mr. D'Annunzio was appointed to sit on the National Credentials Committee as part of the Pennsylvania Delegation to the Democratic National Convention.
He participates in Yale Alumni affairs and has served on the Yale Alumni Schools Committee, interviewing candidates for Yale University. He also is a member of U.S. Senator Bob Casey's Finance Committee. Additionally, Mr. D’Annunzio and Offit Kurman are annual supporters of the Philadelphia Orchestra Gala Opening Celebration.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
SmartCEO Magazine's Legal Elite recognized Mr. D’Annunzio as a top 100 go-to attorney in the Philadelphia area who "exemplifies best practices and outstanding legal advice," as chosen by a survey of 15,000 CEOs. The Legal Intelligencer recognized Mr. D’Annunzio as one of Philadelphia’s top legal lateral hires. Additionally, Mr. D'Annunzio was named a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer® from 2015-2018 by a vote of his peers.
- Serve as national coordinating counsel for a conglomerate of manufacturing companies concerning commercial litigation and toxic tort claims
- Defeated two causes of action by SunEdison in its bankruptcy claiming $12m for fraudulent conveyance and preferences filed against a New Jersey-based solar energy company and a California solar construction contractor
- Advise a world-renowned architecture firm regarding all aspects of their business, including contract, litigation, employment, and partnership issues
- Serve as outside general counsel for My Wine Guide, a Silicon Valley startup on corporate, patent, and trademark issues
- Represent solar construction company in claims and counterclaims arising from a public solar project in New York
- Defended action against a utility for breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty involving a joint venture in a natural gas/steam co-gen plant
- Represented Penn State University’s Head Football Trainer in various matters arising out of the death of a student at a fraternity house
- Obtained dismissal of action asserting claims for indemnification under asset purchase agreement for the sale of a manufacturing division with respect to 20,000 toxic tort claims filed against the purchaser
- Obtained summary dismissal of multiple actions in bankruptcy and state courts asserting $6m in fraud claims against an investor taking an assignment of a mortgage and confessed judgments on guarantees
- Defended load control ultrasonic technology company against minority shareholders’ claims concerning corporate actions
- Advised concerning litigation, indemnification, and insurance implications of the sale of the manufacturing division engaged in the production of industrial chemical mixers
- Obtained injunction on behalf of a software company against key employee seeking to work for competitor
- Represented chemical company in trade secret action against former employee and foreign competitor in action for misappropriation of a formula for acid inhibitor used in steel manufacturing, with cross-border litigation
- Compelled Instagram to take down an imposter website disparaging a company and portraying it in a false light
- Represented family asserting wrongful death and survival act claims due to the death of seven-year-old Joshua Foster in a fire caused by a defective floor fan and for injuries and emotional distress suffered by his mother and sister, resulting in a jury verdict of $13.5M. Loretta Foster Thompson et al. v. Lasko Products Inc. (April Term 2007, No. 000391, Court of Common Pleas of Philadelphia County). Jury Reaches $13.5 Mil. Verdict in Products Case
- Represented parents and their infant in medical malpractice action for obstetrical negligence resulting in brain injuries causing cerebral palsy resolved by a multimillion-dollar settlement at trial
- Prevailed in Orphans’ Court trial in defending an estate against a multimillion-dollar claim
- Obtained Federal Court order dismissing claims of successor liability against a manufacturing company under a “product-line exception” for historic products distributed by the company from whom it purchased assets
- Obtained a multimillion-dollar recovery for parents’ loss of a child in a drowning
- Advised conglomerate of companies as to all aspects of pandemic-related insurance and liability issues
- Represent manufacturing companies in maintaining primary coverage and $300m levels of excess coverage for nationwide toxic tort claims