Mark Shaffer is a first chair trial attorney with significant courtroom experience. He has litigated throughout the United States with substantial experience in the state and federal courts of Virginia, Maryland, and the District of Columbia.
Mr. Shaffer concentrates his litigation practice in construction litigation, eminent domain, contract disputes, land use litigation, and leasing disputes. He represents owners, developers, contractors, project engineers and design professionals at all levels of the state and federal courts, and includes litigating a wide variety of design defects, differing site conditions, delay claims, and change orders. He also represents owners and developers in zoning appeals, development agreements, easement rights and restrictive covenant disputes.
Mr. Shaffer also litigates a wide variety of government contract claims, including disputes between prime and subcontractors, contract termination claims, teaming agreement disputes, and non-compete agreement disputes.
Mr. Shaffer also has significant experience litigating business and corporate disputes, including fraud, conversion, breach of fiduciary duty claims and derivative actions. He routinely assists shareholders with enforcing their rights to inspect corporate books and records, to obtain accountings of their investments and corporate assets, and to hold corporate officers and directors accountable for breaches of their corporate duties.
Although he focuses on litigation, Mr. Shaffer has assisted clients on all levels of service, including advice, strategy, litigation, and settlement negotiations. Mr. Shaffer is also routinely called upon to present legal seminars to businesses and clients on a variety of matters concerning construction litigation, condemnation procedures, easement acquisition and rights, and e-discovery.
Before he attained his law degree, Mr. Shaffer served on active duty in the United States Marine Corps. Mr. Shaffer continues to serve with the United States Marine Corps Reserves, and previously served in Iraq.
- Obtained $24 million judgment in favor of landowner in highly contentious condemnation matter.
- Argued, briefed, and won motion striking testimony of landowners’ expert witnesses in inverse condemnation matter.
- Argued, briefed, and won motion striking testimony of expert witness testimony opposing multimillion dollar mixed-use development.
- Argued, briefed, and won motion to strike, obtaining dismissal with prejudice of $1 million fraud claim against major financial institution.
- Negotiated a multimillion-dollar settlement on behalf of a minority shareholder as part of a corporate buyout.
- Second-chaired and prevailed in trial on behalf of large S&P 400 company that sought to move forward with multimillion-dollar mixed-use development.
- Second-chaired and prevailed in trial on behalf of large developer in condemnation action
- First-chaired and prevailed on hearing granting energy company immediate access to numerous landowners’ properties during condemnation matters.
- First-chaired and obtained dismissal of claims brought against board members for wrongful dissolution of the corporation.
- First-chaired and obtained judgment for claims based on fraud and breach of fiduciary duty and fraud in derivative action brought against owner of Limited Liability Company.
- First-chaired and obtained dismissal of breach of contract and violations of the Maryland Consumer Protection Act against major telecommunications client.
- First-chaired and prevailed in construction dispute brought against the contractor for the defective construction of a dance studio.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Named to "Virginia Rising Stars," Business Litigation, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2017
- Named to "Washington, D.C. Rising Stars," Business Litigation, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2017
- Speaker, Social Collective Presentation for Small Business Owners, July 2022
- Speaker, NAIOP Host ‘Real Estate Development and Construction Management Project’, July 2019
- Speaker, E-Discovery and Document Retention Best Practices, April 2016
- Speaker, Pipeline Routing Challenges and Pre-condemnation Issues, October 2015
- Speaker, Developments in Easement Valuation and Condemnation Procedures, May 2015
- Speaker, Developments in Federal Preemption Law under the Natural Gas Act/Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration, April 2015
- Speaker, Condemnation Procedures under State and Federal Law, April 2015
- Speaker, "Best Practices in Asbestos Litigation," 32nd Annual Conference and Exhibition of the Environmental Information Association, March 2015