Marjorie Just is a Principal attorney in the firm's Family Law practice group. Her practice as a family law attorney focuses on the negotiation, settlement, and litigation of complex family law matters in Maryland and the District of Columbia, including issues of property distribution, custody, child support, alimony, same-sex marriage, and domestic partnerships. She prepares family-related agreements such as, pre-marital agreements, separation agreements and reproductive agreements. She is also trained as a family mediator and collaborative lawyer.
POINTS OF DISTINCTION
- Washingtonian Magazine Top Divorce Lawyer, 2021
- Top Lawyer, Family Law, Washingtonian Magazine, 2020
- Named to Martindale-Hubbell's AV Preeminent® Top Rated Lawyers, 2019
- Named as one of the "2017 Top Divorce Lawyers" by Bethesda Magazine in its July/August edition
- Named as one of the "2010 Top Divorce Lawyers" by Bethesda Magazine in it's May/June edition
- Awarded an “AV Preeminent” rating by Martindale-Hubbell, which is a peer rating that signifies the highest level of legal ability and professional ethics
- Founding member of the Collaborative Divorce Association in Montgomery County, Maryland
- Founding member of the Maryland Collaborative Practice Council
- Volunteer family law mentor for the District of Columbia Law Firm Pro Bono program
- Recipient of the 1998 Montgomery County, Maryland, Bar Foundation's Annual Pro Bono Service Award
Guest speaker, Divorce Dish with Robin Goelman, Podcast Episode 4, Where Do I Even Begin?
Patient Testimonial Privilege and What to Do When a Lawyer Calls, presented to The Tree House Child Assessment Center of Montgomery County, Maryland - November 2017
Published Case: Atkinson vs. Atkinson, 730 A.2d 667 (D.C., 1999).
Ms. Just is the author of “Divorce Decisions: Practical Ways to Protect Yourself, Your Children and Your Wallet,” published in August 2009 by Capital Books.
Ms. Just has spoken on various continuing legal education panels on issues relating to family law such as tracing of marital and non-marital property, the Fifth Amendment Privilege, drafting of separation agreements, the Child Support Guidelines and same-sex marriage and domestic partnerships.
To read an interview regarding Marjorie's book, click here.
I found Marjorie to be a valuable resource during an emotionally difficult time. She is knowledgeable, calm and steady, and was able to evaluate options dispassionately to help me arrive at the best possible solution from an array of less-than-ideal options. I wholeheartedly recommend her.
Marjorie Just is the best divorce lawyer I’ve ever heard of. She is brilliant and quick and imaginative and ever considerate of my financial capabilities. She was a good guide through each of the mazes of legal, family and other issues which required dealing with many other lawyers and experts. I came out of the process so very much better than when I started — and that is because of Marjorie Just.