Leslie "Les" Horowitz is a Principal Attorney in the firm’s Commercial Litigation and Creditors’ Rights, Reorganization and Bankruptcy practice groups. He counsels clients in a variety of commercial and bankruptcy matters. His clients include corporations of all sizes across a range of industries. Les has extensive experience representing debtors and creditors in Bankruptcy Court, District Court and State Court, including prejudgment and post-judgment remedies. He regularly represents parties in assignments for the benefit of creditors and receiverships, prejudgment remedies and the enforcement of judgments. His experience also includes work related to secured transactions.
Les is a former member on the National Council of the Federal Bar Association. He has been an active member since 1990, serving as Secretary, Vice President, President-Elect and President of the Los Angeles Chapter. He previously served as Chairperson of the Bankruptcy Section. Les is currently a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute, Financial Lawyers Conference and California Bankruptcy Forum.
Les has co-authored several articles on bankruptcy and commercial law. He is an update author for the CEB treatise entitled Debt Collection Practice in California. He has also lectured at the Los Angeles Bar Association about evidence, insolvency, provisional remedies and the enforcement of judgments and assignments for the benefit of creditors.
Les has counseled and represented clients in a variety of commercial and bankruptcy matters. The following is a brief list of the matters that he has handled.
- Successfully represented clients in pre-judgment remedies, including writs of attachments, writs of possession, and varying post-judgment remedies
- Counsels trustee in the administration of a family trust with issues involving beneficiaries who are also creditors of the trust
- Successfully advised insolvent client who was the tenant in a large commercial space and resolved matter without litigation
- Represented debtor in corporate Chapter 11 asbestos bankruptcy case. Assisted in confirmation of plan of reorganization
- Successfully represented Chapter 11 Trustee in large real property fraud case
- Represent foreign clients in domesticating Federal Court and state court judgment and enforcing sister states judgments with post-judgment collection proceedings reducing the amount of the debt
- Successfully represented corporate client who purchased assets through an Article 9 foreclosure sale
- Successfully defend clients in preference in a bankruptcy cases
- Counsel assignor restaurant in an Assignment for the Benefit of Creditors and all the related issues involving creditors and landlord issues
- Successfully represented insolvent manufacturer in out of court workout with secured lender and unsecured creditors and sale of assets to buyer
- Represent Banks as secured lenders in Chapter 11 cases
- Successfully obtained relief from the automatic stay in several Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases for banks and finance companies as secured lender
- Successfully represented secured lenders in Chapter 13 cases
- Counseled former county government employee who pleaded guilty of taking bribes and successfully negotiated settlement with county and preserved various exemptions
- Represented corporate client which successfully purchased assets from Chapter 7 Trustee
- Represent and counsel privately held international companies in the tech manufacturing field for various insolvency issues including protection of secured loans, purchase of assets and making secured loans
- Counsel corporate clients involving insolvency issues regarding toxic waste problems
- Represented assignor in Assignment for Benefit of Creditors of manufacturing company
- Successfully represented bank client in bankruptcy court involving the judgment debtor examination lien created by code of civil procedure, wherein the Court ruled that the client had a lien for one year after service of the judgment debtor examination. Assisted in the drafting of the appellate brief in which the 9th Circuit upheld the ruling
- Successfully restructured real estate transaction between mother and son to resolve litigation for avoidable transaction commenced by mother’s Chapter 7 trustee
- Assisted client with Freedom of Information Act request
- Assist out-of-state clients with Sister-state judgments and enforcements
- Defend bankruptcy preferences
- Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers California, 2014-present
- Martindale AV Rated