Lawrence (“Larry”) Holmes is a Principal and Chair of the firm's Commercial Litigation Practice (North) group. Since entering private practice in 1993, he has established a track record of landmark legal successes and longstanding client partnerships — work that includes pivotal cases that have impacted Pennsylvania law. Larry focuses his practice on representing finance lease companies and other institutional clients. As a passionate advocate for his clients, he is skilled at humanizing large institutions and effectively communicating with juries and judges.
As a highly skilled litigator, Larry has successfully argued before the Superior and Supreme Courts of Pennsylvania and helped establish new insurance law in Pennsylvania. He secured a milestone victory for a finance lease company when a federal judge denied a motion to certify a class action against it as part of a claim exceeding $37 million. In addition to defending the motion for class certification, Larry obtained summary judgment against the lessees on all claims and counterclaims. He also obtained an order that the lessees were liable, jointly, and severally, for all the leasing company’s legal fees. The decision is a powerful tool for financial institutions in cases and class actions arising from program failures.
With a growing reputation as an engaging legal thought leader, Larry was appointed to the Equipment Leasing and Finance Association’s (ELFA) Legal Committee for a three-year term in 2015. He has also presented numerous times at ELFA’s annual Legal Forum, most recently on ethics at the 2022 Forum. For several years, he has presented Pennsylvania Bar Institute CLE programs on insurer bad faith, and other insurance topics.
Larry received his J.D. from Villanova University School of Law and upon graduation, he served as a Law Clerk to the Honorable Chief Justice Robert N. C. Nix, Jr. of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court — writing opinions, providing counsel, and learning the skills of passionate persuasion and respectful dissent that would inform his career.
As an elected Township Commissioner, and President of the Board of Commissioners, Larry exemplifies Offit Kurman’s commitment to public and community service. He is currently serving his fifth term as the Sixth Ward Commissioner of Haverford Township, Delaware County, PA, where he has resided with his family for over two decades.
- In a landmark case, successfully represented a leasing company in opposition to class certification in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania—obtaining summary judgment against lessees on all claims and counterclaims, which held the lessees responsible, jointly, and severally, for all legal fees
- Obtained a jury verdict for the defense for a finance leasing company in the United States District Court for the District of Maryland after a two-week trial for fraud
- For a decade, practiced in tax-exempt bond transactions, representing numerous private and public entities as bond counsel for industrial development and general obligation tax-exempt bonds
Larry frequently has frequently spoken on various topics for over a decade to many audiences including the Insurance Society of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Bar Institute and numerous legal forums and CLEs.
- "Ethics Issues for Equipment Finance Lawyers,” Presenter, Equipment Leasing and Financing Association (ELFA) Annual Legal Forum, Washington, DC, May 2022
- "Legal Update 2018: News from the legal front- guaranteed not to be fake," Equipment Leasing and Financing Association Annual Legal Forum, Washington, DC, May 2018
- "Legal Update 2017: Avoiding the Gators, Sinkholes and Hurricanes of the Law," Equipment Leasing and Financing Association Annual Legal Forum, St. Peter's Beach, FL, May 2017
- "Legal Update 2016: A Cable Car Ride Through the Highs and Lows of the Year," Equipment Leasing and Financing Association Annual Legal Forum, San Francisco, CA, May 2016
"My approach to representing our clients in litigation, actual or threatened, is that of a Harbor Pilot; my principal function is to get our client from point A to point B, through the dangerous and congested waters of litigation. If we keep our clients focused on point B, while knowing what unseen hazards lurk just underneath and on both sides, it’s much more likely we can spare our clients the inevitable but not inexpensive distractions that can obscure or block the path to a successful resolution."
— Larry Holmes