James “Jim” Landon is a Principal attorney and Leader of the firm’s Real Estate Law and Transactions practice group, with a strong involvement in real estate investment and construction. Jim has practiced real estate law since 2002, primarily focusing on real estate transactions and land use. He represents individuals and privately and publicly held companies in the purchase, sale, leasing, financing and development of real estate property. Jim also represents lenders and title insurance companies on commercial purchases and refinancing transactions and provides third-party legal opinions regarding Delaware law related to Delaware entities.
Clients often describe Jim as an attorney with the legal skills necessary for complex real estate transactions and projects but also possesses the construction and finance background to understand the deal’s business aspects.
Additionally, Jim teaches real estate law as an adjunct faculty member at Delaware Technical Community College.
Jim also frequently writes blogs for the firm and his series, This Week in Real Estate, which can be found here.
- Acquisition, financing, and development of apartments, assisted living facilities, condominiums, hotels, residential developments, restaurants, schools, shopping centers, industrial space and residential housing
- Commercial real estate leasing
- Residential and commercial evictions
- Challenged deed restriction validity in court and achieved Chancery Court decision rejecting the validity of the restriction
- Ongoing creation, acquisition, and lease of numerous medical condominiums
- Landlord representation of medical and retail commercial space
- Real estate tax appeals resulting in a $1 million-dollar reduction in tax liability
- Represent a national wireless communications provider in rooftop leases and zoning approval of installed equipment
- Best Lawyers in America, Land Use and Zoning Law, 2023
- Delaware Today® Top Lawyers in Real Estate, 2018-2019
- Rising Star, Delaware Super Lawyer, 2012
- The Delaware Journal of Corporate Law, Articles Editor
- Phi Delta Phi, Harrington Inn, Honors Fraternity
- Thomas H. Davis Business Scholar