James Hoffman is a corporate, bankruptcy and litigation attorney. James focuses his practice in the areas of representing various business types, particularly closely held businesses and has a broad base of experience representing creditors, receivers, trustees and debtors in bankruptcy cases and litigation.
In his business practice, James represents businesses through their life cycles from creation to formulating employment and shareholders agreements, creating contracts, collecting debts, selling assets and ownership and closing the business through sale or liquidation. James has represented nine (9) different Chapter 7 trustees, and several Chapter 11 trustees and receivers. Thus, he is “a lawyer’s lawyer.”
Additionally, James has been involved in handling a broad range of litigation before state courts, including disputes involving complex commercial litigation, breach of contract actions, and collection cases.
Prior to bringing his expertise as a bankruptcy lawyer to Offit Kurman, James had been a senior partner within the largest law firm in Montgomery County, Maryland, before leaving after a twenty-year tenure.
James has experience handling matters on behalf of creditors in many states. He is litigation counsel for a client that transacts a regulated business in 16 states as well as other clients that do business in multiple states involving diverse issues. For example, he:
He has been a speaker at corporate and bankruptcy related programs.
Additional Speaking Engagements:
- Rockville Chamber of Commerce, Women in Business Conferences, Speaker, 4 Years
- Annual Spring Break Continuing Legal Education Weekend, Bankruptcy Bar Association for the District of Maryland, Speaker
- Maryland Super Lawyer, 2014 - 2023
- Washingtonian Top Lawyer, 2023
- Martindale-Hubbell's AV Preeminent® Top Rated Lawyers, 2019 - 2023
- Best Lawyers in America, Bankruptcy Litigation from 2013 - present
- Bethesda Magazine Top Attorneys, Bankruptcy, Creditors' Rights and Corporate, 2019-2021