Candace Dellacona is a Principal and Shareholder in the firm’s Estates and Trusts practice group. Candace is considered “a family’s lawyer,” however you may define family. She works closely with multiple generations of family members to protect what they have throughout every phase of their lives. Candace constructs wills, trusts and medical directives that address each client’s unique goals, whether they are starting adult life or experiencing a significant event such as a change in marital status, welcoming a child, diagnosis of illness or death of a loved one.
Candace works with clients to proactively protect financial assets, arrange care, establish medical directives, mitigate the burden of estate taxes and address business succession planning. Candace also navigates families through the probate process, ensuring that an estate is administered efficiently and properly.
Candace focuses her law practice on Estate Planning, Asset Protection Planning, Elder Law, Estate Administration, Special Needs Planning and Advocacy, including the areas outlined below.
Adult family members who find themselves providing care and support to an aging loved one and who are either in the midst of raising a child or providing financial support to an adult child. Members of the “sandwich generation” are in between balancing the needs of themselves and the needs of aging relatives and dependent children.
- Mid-Life Planning: For the clients in the “in-between” who may require a more sophisticated estate plan than was once needed, Candace skillfully guides her clients through the complex world of trusts, business formation, or even selling a family business.
- Elder Law Advocacy: An advocate for the elderly, Candace helps her clients remain independent and comfortable for as long as possible. When loved ones require long-term care, she advises families while protecting their life savings.
- Young Adults: Adulthood brings many responsibilities, including the often-overlooked need for a Health Directive and a Financial Power of Attorney. Candace works with young adults and their families, so medical and financial information can be accessed in case of an emergency.
An important part of Candace’s practice includes working with members of the LGBTQ+ and polyamorous communities and their families. She creates tailored estate plans while advocating for security and dignity in the treatment of all her clients.
Sports & Entertainment Industry
Athletes and entertainers may experience significant changes in income in a short period of time. Candace works to establish long-term protection of assets and property, allowing clients to enjoy the fruits of their labor while planning responsibly for the future.
- Top Lawyers of Long Island Award, The Herald, Trusts and Estates, 2022
- Top Women Attorneys, Super Lawyers, New York City, (2015, 2016)
- Top Women in the Law by Hofstra University School of Law, Center for Children Families and the Law, 2016
- Rising Stars, Super Lawyers New York City, Elder Law, 2012-2014
- Guest Speaker, "Elder Law with Candace Dellacona," Caregiver SOS on Air, June 2023
- Guest Speaker, "Financial Elder Abuse - How to Avoid the Pitfalls," Fading Memories: Alzheimer's/Dementia Support podcast, February 2023
- Guest Speaker, "Essential Legal Documents for Your Adult Children," Tax Talk Radio Show on Radio Station 103.9 LI News FM, September 2022
- Presenter, Caregivers’ Support Group, Five Towns Premier Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, Cedarhurst, NY, November 2022
- Guest Speaker, "Grow Your Business, Grow Your Wealth Podcast with Gary Heldt," Apple Podcasts, September 2022
- Guest Speaker, "Protecting the Elderly from Financial Predators," Tax Talk Radio Show on Radio Station 103.9 LI News FM, May 2022
- Guest Speaker, "Different Ways to Watch Out for Elder Abuse," Caregiver Dave Podcast Series, May 2022
- Guest Speaker, "Hot Topics in Elder Law" Offit Kurman Breakfast Bar Speaker Series, May 2022
- Presenter, "Every Woman For Herself: Financial Planning for Women," Offit Kurman Women LEAD, December 2021