Alexander Mirkin is an attorney in the firm’s Commercial Litigation practice group. Alex helps clients solve their most complex and challenging legal problems.
Alex represents domestic and international institutions, corporations, and executives in federal and state courts and in mediation and arbitration proceedings throughout the country. He also advises clients when disputes first arise on paths to resolution that avoid the burdens of formal proceedings. Alex has led clients through disputes with contractual counterparties, business partners, and regulators. Clients have sought his assistance with cases involving antitrust claims, fraud and other business wrongs, cross-border disputes, class action defense, professional malpractice, and construction defects.
Alex also counsels clients on antitrust issues. He has helped clients develop and maintain their distribution agreements, minimum price programs, and employee compliance policies. Additionally, he has guided clients through the merger control process, drawing on his early career experience at the Federal Trade Commission.
The foundation of Alex’s practice is built on understanding the needs of his clients. His keen grasp of the tactics of dispute resolution allows him to develop strategies in line with his clients’ priorities.
- Represented an Italian avionics firm in International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) arbitration, prevailing on all claims and counterclaims and achieving a multi-million-dollar recovery for the client.
- Represented a European technology manufacturer against intellectual property claims in the U.S. and coordinated its defense with in-country counsel in foreign jurisdictions.
- Successfully opposed class action certification of wiretap and consumer protection claims brought against an e-commerce marketing firm.
- Represented a range of foreign and domestic clients in proceedings throughout the country to obtain discovery in aid of foreign proceedings under 28 U.S.C. § 1782.
- Represented a European reinsurer in litigation regarding liability on multiple facultative and treaty coverages.
- Represented a multinational food service company in litigation regarding construction defects at the New York flagship store.
- Represented individual defendant in litigation with the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), settling favorably after surviving a motion for summary judgment on the issue of first impression.
- Represented foreign and domestic clients in proceedings to domesticate and enforce foreign judgments in New York state courts.
- Represented advertising firm in a fee dispute with publisher and broker.
- Ones to Watch, Best Lawyers in America, 2024